Network Visualization Support Functions
In addition to the Network visualization capabilities, NP-View provides a set of network visualization support functions to enhance the use of NP-View.
NP-View provides a settings menu specifically for the topology. This menu can be used to show as much or as little information as you desire on the topology map. This keeps the topology map at level of organization that suits your use case.
The topology settings menu is easily accessible from the menu in the bottom right of the topology map by clicking on the gear icon.
This will open the topology settings dialog and allow users to show or hide different types of information on the fly.
- Show/Hide Vulnerability Shields – this setting toggles the display of icons that show vulnerabilities on nodes when scans have been imported into the workspace.
- Show Networks with NO IP – this setting toggles the display of network Cloud icons that do not have IP’s. The default behavior is to hide them.
- Show Comment Bubbles – this setting toggles the display of the blue bubble on Primary Devices that indicates the number of comments associated with that device.
- Show Risk Bubbles – this setting toggles the display of the red bubble on Primary Devices that indicates the number of risks associated with that device.
- Collapse Nodes By Default – this setting toggles the behavior of whether or not nodes on the topology map are collapsed.
Several of the support features are available on the main menu accessible through the three horizontal bars on the top to the left of the search bar.
Provides the ability to create or manage groupings of devices called zones. If no zones have been created, the user can select the “Auto Generate Zones” function to automatically create assessment zones based on the connections in the workspace.
Zones will be automatically named and color coded based on asset keywords.
Keyword, criticality and colors
Note that the default zone color is light yellow for zones that do not match keywords and the criticality is not defined. The user can assign a criticality and color of their choice.
Once created, zones can be manually reclassified or deleted by clicking inside the zone space and selecting the appropriate option from the menu. If some devices are not properly included in a zone, the devices can be selected and manually (or right clicked on and added to a zone).
Once automatic zones are created, the Auto Generate Zones function is disabled until all zones are deleted.
For manual zone creation, the user can select two or more objects from the topology map and the zone panel will display.
From the panel, the user can create a zone, name it and assign a criticality. The user can also assign tags and criticalities to the selected devices.
For existing zones, the user can add / remove nodes from zones, edit the name or criticality or delete the selected zones.
Selecting a zone name displays the details for the zone. The user can rename the zone or reassign the criticality. They can also perform a zone analysis of inbound and outbound paths.
Right clicking on any topology object will allow for the addition or removal of an object from a zone.
Exports the topology map to PDF of Visio for record retention.
Provides the ability to manage user created custom views. There are multiple ways to create views.
Option 1: Select the Manage Views menu item and then ‘Create New View’. Next select the devices to include in the view and give the view a name.
Option 2: Click on the ‘Create New View’ link at the top of the page
Option 3: Select multiple devices from the home view (shift + drag). Right click on one of the selected devices and select “Create View from Selection”.
For option 2 and 3, the Manage Views function will be invoked where the user can select the devices for the view and name the view.
Views are limited by the product purchased as outlined below:
- Essential: 15 single device views per user per workspace
- Professional: 25 single device or custom views per user per workspace
- Enterprise: 25 single device or custom views user per workspace
The view will be created in the background allowing continued use of the home view until the analysis has completed.
Once completed, the topology map will switch to the newly created view with the view details. A dotted line represents a connection that is inferred from the information provided (e.g., a layer 2 connection). Additional configuration data is required to convert inferred to direct connections.
Once views are created, the manage Views function can be used to:
- rename a view – select the pencil to invoke the name editor.
- change the devices in a custom view – select the view from the Manage Views panel. Add / Remove devices from the view using check boxes and click save view.
- delete the view with the trash can.
Provides the ability to view a summary of the services within a custom view. By selecting Highlight Paths from the main menu, the service filtering function is displayed:
Selecting any service will provide the user with service details and highlight the pats on the topology map.
Clicking on the path analysis IP address will show the rules associated with that path and licking on a rule will display the access rule table with the associated rules filtered.
NP-View analyzes all possible connectivity paths in your network. Learn more in the Path Analysis article.